WHAT HAPPENED AT THE APRIL MEETING?
1) Gary Riley and David Coffman reported that they have approached several community organizations in Mountain Grove about funding the “Soldier Monument” restoration there. Phelps Camp has been asked to submit a formal request to the Community Foundation of Mountain Grove, and Gary and David will continue their efforts to obtain funding for this worthwhile project.
2) Members were reminded that the Civil War Round Table of the Ozarks meets on the second Wednesday evening of each month at the Springfield-Greene County Library Center.
3) Members were reminded about that the latest issue of the Missouri Unionist may be downloaded at http://www.suvcwmo.org.
4) Jeff Patrick reported that planning continues on the Zagonyi’s Charge program, scheduled for October 22.
5) Members enjoyed a fine presentation by John Rutherford on the life of John Hutchison, who was honored as Missouri’s last Civil War veteran by the state legislature shortly before his death in 1951.
NEXT MEETING The May meeting will be held at the Visitor Center at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield on Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 7 p.m. Phelps Camp member John Sutton will present a program on Civil War carbines, and will bring a number of reproduction carbines for members to examine.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR WILSON’S CREEK REENACTMENT Phelps Camp will have a recruiting/sales table at the Wilson’s Creek reenactment on August 12-14. We need volunteers to man the table, so if you’re available any time between Friday morning (the 12th) and Sunday afternoon (the 14th), please contact Jeff Patrick as soon as possible at 417-732-2662, ext. 226, or by e-mail (email@example.com).
CAN DO! Are we still collecting aluminum cans? You bet we are! Bring a bag of cans to the next meeting. Aluminum sales help support our camp, so keep drinking!
UPCOMING EVENTS April 30-May 1: Camp Jackson living history event, Jefferson Barracks County Park, St. Louis.May 14-15: Battle of Carthage reenactment.
August 6: Parade in downtown Republic, followed by living history programs
August 10: Battle of Wilson’s Creek anniversary ceremony, 7 p.m.
August 11: Possible event to commemorate the skirmish at Dug Springs, near Clever