WHAT HAPPENED AT THE MAY MEETING?
1) Jeff Patrick reported that the VA headstone forms have been mailed to the Kirksville City Clerk’s Office. As soon as they are returned with signatures we can order the stones, with a possible dedication/memorial service this fall.
2) Larry Toll reported that the forms and other paperwork necessary to register our Sons of Veterans Reserve unit have been completed and will be mailed to the department.
3) Members were reminded about the Boone Home and Fort Scott events.
4) Jeff Patrick gave a slide program on his recent trip to the National Civil War Naval Museum and the National Infantry Museum, both in Columbus, Georgia.
5) Members were again encouraged to read and contribute material to the new Phelps Camp blog (www.phelpscamp.blogspot.com).
June 5-6—Parade of the American soldier event at Fort Scott National Historic Site, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. each day.
The next meeting of Phelps Camp will be on Tuesday, June 1 at 7 p.m. at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield.
BOONE HOME “SPRING FROLIC”
Despite brief showers, six members of Phelps Camp presented a portion of the “Parade of the American Soldier” program for the “Spring Frolic” at Nathan Boone Homestead State Historic Site in Ash Grove, Missouri. Camp members represented the American soldier during four important periods (Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War and Civil War). Although attendance was light, the visitors seemed to enjoy the presentation and asked many questions.