Sunday, January 30, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
WHAT HAPPENED AT THE JANUARY MEETING?
1) Camp elections were held, with the 2010 officers unanimously elected for 2011.
2) Members agreed to perform the SUV initiation ritual at the February meeting.
3) Jeff Patrick announced that the Carthage monument proposal has been approved by the Carthage City Council. Once the selected artist/designer has finished a few other projects, he will submit a preliminary design of the proposed monument to the camp.
4) Jeff Patrick agreed to contact a monument restoration company re: the Mountain Grove, Missouri soldier’s monument. The monument is in need of cleaning/restoration. Jeff will ask the company about any travel fees they may charge in order to examine the monument and furnish an estimate for the restoration.
5) Members agreed that the camp should host a “Zagonyi’s Charge” event at Zagonyi Park in Springfield on Saturday, October 22, to mark the 150th anniversary of the charge and the recapture of Springfield.
6) Member Bob Drake alerted members to the new Civil War 150th day-by-day site maintained by the New York Times (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/disunion).
NEXT MEETING The February meeting will be held at the Visitor Center at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 7 p.m. SPECIAL NOTE: We will perform the SUV ritual ceremony that night in order to welcome our new members into the organization. If you are a new member and have not been initiated, please attend. If you have been initiated, we need members to help perform the ritual. Don’t worry—there’s nothing to memorize (you’ll have a script to follow), and there’s no physical pain or embarrassment! Following the ritual, we will watch a new National Park Service video on the early life and career of Abraham Lincoln.
2011 DUES ARE NOW DUE Yes, it is time once again to “re-up”! Unfortunately, due to a recent national dues increase, the members of Phelps Camp voted to increase yearly dues from $25 to $30, the first dues increase in MANY years. With the 150th anniversary of the Civil War fast approaching, we need every member of the camp to rejoin and help mark this important occasion. Please send your dues payment (check or money order payable to "Phelps Camp #66 SUVCW") to:
1329 South Meadowview
Springfield, Missouri 65804
February 27: Sherman Day ceremony, Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis, 2 p.m.
March 5: Battle of Pea Ridge Anniversary Ceremony, Pea Ridge National Military Park, 9 a.m.
March 19 or 20 (to be determined): Special ceremony in Isabella, Missouri to honor John Hutchison, last surviving Missouri Civil War veteran. More details to follow.