Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sand Springs

The Mary Whitney Phelps Tent #22, Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, recently had a monument erected near the site of Fort Sand Springs, in Webster County, Missouri. It can be found at the southeast corner of Missouri 38 and Timber Ridge Road. The monument is approximately one mile from the site of Fort Sand Springs.

A small Union post was located at Sand Springs during the Civil War. A skirmish was fought there on January 9, 1863, one day after the Battle of Springfield. Confederates under General Joseph Shelby scattered the Union garrison in a brief fight. Shelby's men camped at Sand Springs that evening, then destroyed the post before moving towards Hartville the next day.

Plans for a dedication program will be announced shortly. For more information about the Mary Whitney Phelps Tent, please visit their web site at

No comments:

Post a Comment