WHAT HAPPENED AT THE SEPTEMBER MEETING?
1) Jeff Patrick reported that the headstones for the two graves in Kirksville have arrived. Despite our instructions, one was delivered to Kirksville and one to Republic! Jeff and Greg Wait will deliver the stone to Kirksville on Friday, September 10.
2) Members were again encouraged to read and contribute material to the Phelps Camp blog (www.phelpscamp.blogspot.com).
3) Larry Toll reported that a required IRS “EIN” number has been secured for our SVR unit, and all the necessary paperwork has been submitted.
4) Steve Weldon reported that the Carthage Park Board will consider our proposal to erect a monument in Central Park at their monthly meeting on October 4. Jeff Patrick will attend and represent the camp.
5) Interest has been expressed in attending the Springfield Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, November 6. Greg Wait will contact parade officials to obtain more information.6) Members examined a copy of the new Daughters of Union Veterans book, MARKING CIVIL WAR HISTORY IN THE OZARKS: A Guide to Civil War Markers and Monuments in Twenty-Four Southwest Missouri Counties. Ordering information is available on the DUV website: http://duvmissouritent22.org.
The next meeting of Phelps Camp will be on Tuesday, October 5 at 7 p.m. at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield. We will have a special program about the history of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.)