What Happened At The March Meeting?
1. Herb Jackson reported that he is still attempting to locate the owners of the property where the Zagonyi's Charge monument is located. Richard Cochran announced that the has made contact with Wommack Monument Company, and that they are interested in moving the Zagonyi monument when that time comes.
2. Phelps Camp has been asked to assist with a headstone dedication ceremony for a Union veteran in Boone County, Arkansas later this year.
3. Members selected "Company D, Phelps' Regiment, Missouri Infantry as our SVR persona.
4. Members discussed a project in Kirksville, Missouri to mark the graves of a Union veteran and his wife who served as a Union army nurse. Jeff Patrick informed the membership that a few historical facts need to be checked before the headstone application forms can be mailed to the V.A.
5. Members were encouraged to read and contribute material to the new Phelps Camp blog, http://www.phelpscamp.blogspot.com/
April 17---Civil War Round Table of the Ozarks 50th anniversary dinner, Springfield. Guest speaker: Dr. Steven Woodworth from Texas Christian University. Topic: Grant's Vicksburg Campaign. Further details available at http://history.missouristate.edu/wgpiston/CWRT/cwrt.htm
April 24---Dedication of the Fort Sand Springs Monument near Marshfield, 1:30 p.m.
May 15---Parade of the American Soldier event at the Nathan Boone Home State Historic Site, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Welcome A New Member
Phelps Camp welcomes a new member Gary Brimmer of Battlefield, Mo. Gary's ancestor, William Hartman served in the 35th Iowa Infantry and the 2nd Iowa Cavalry. Welcome, Gary!
Sherman and Pea Ridge Ceremonies
Several members of Phelps Camp attended the February 28 ceremony at General William T. Sherman's grave in St. Louis. A large crowd of spectators and reenactors turned out for the event.
On March 7, Camp Commander Wait gave a powerful address at the Pea Ridge Anniversary Ceremony. Several members of the camp were in attendance at that ceremony as well.
Dues Are Due!
Yes, it's that time again. 2010 dues for Phelps Camp and the SUVCW remain at $25! Please send a check or money order to:
1329 South Meadowview
Springfield, Missouri 65804
Any donations for camp projects will also be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, unpaid members will have to be dropped after the April meeting.
The next meeting of Phelps Camp will be on Tuesday, April 6 at 7 p.m. at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. As this will be the 148th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh, we will watch a video about the battle and career of Union hero General W.H.L. Wallace.